- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss the cubed potatoes with 2 tablespoons of oil and spread in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Season the potatoes with salt and pepper, and then roast until just barely soft, about 10-15 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add the remaining tablespoon of oil.
- Sauté the onion for 1 minute, then add the bacon and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes more.
- Add the apples, thyme and cooked potatoes to the skillet and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes.
- Remove from the heat and garnish with extra thyme if desired. Serve warm.
*The potatoes and apples in this dish can be peeled if desired or cooked with the skin on. If purple potatoes aren’t available, substitute white or red new potatoes.