The trick to perfecting a great carrot cake is by creating a moist cake center with a perfect spiciness and a not-too-sweet cream cheese frosting. Well, this recipe by Pamela's doesn’t let you down. Cake, frosting...this recipe has it all, including easy to follow directions that help you adjust according to pan size. Enjoy!
- Pre-heat oven to 325°, with rack in top third of oven.
- Put all dry ingredients, except nuts, in a medium bowl and whisk together.
- Zest the orange into stand mixer bowl.
- Beat orange zest, oil, eggs, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer (or by hand), until well mixed.
- Add carrots and well drained pineapple, mix well again.
- Add dry ingredients, mix well.
- Add nuts and mix again.
- Pour into baking pans, prepped with cooking spray, and bake according to pan size.
- Toothpick should come out clean. Once cooled, frost if desired with a cream cheese frosting (recipe below).
Pan size and cooking times:
Two 8” round cake pans (makes two 1 ¼ to 1 ½” cakes) = 30 to 35 minutes
One 9” spring form pan (makes one 2 to 2 ½” cake) = 45 minutes
One 7 x 11” rectangle pan (makes one 2” cake) = 40 to 45 minutes
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Soften butter or margarine.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix together on medium for 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth.
- If frosting is too thick, add more water one teaspoon at a time.
Optional: Add 1 tsp ground cinnamon