Tasty breaded and fried appetizers are my weakness at parties and restaurants. My eyes gravitate toward mozzarella sticks or zucchini fries, but all that fried bread makes them out of reach when abstaining from gluten. Rudi’s bread makes the perfect gluten free breadcrumbs to use in a variety of dishes, but this is my favorite.
This gluten free alternative will thrill even the most bread-friendly guests. These fries are so good that once I started bringing them to parties, I found myself with a much fuller social calendar. Plus this cilantro lime sauce takes these fries to the next level. Move over guacamole, there’s a new avocado party favorite!
Ingredients: *To insure that all ingredients are gluten free please read the labels when purchasing the products.
Cilantro Lime Dipping Sauce:
- 8 oz. cup of plain Greek yogurt
- Juice from one lime
- 1/3 cup of cilantro
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 small jalapeno (can add more depending on spice preference)
- 4 slices Rudi’s Gluten-Free Multigrain Bread
- 2 large avocados
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil (for frying)
1. Chop the cilantro and jalapeno finely
2. Combine cilantro, jalapeno, lime juice, garlic sale and yogurt in a bowl.
3. Process in a blender until smooth.
4. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Preparation (avocado fries):
1. Heat coconut oil on medium in a deep pan while preparing the fries.
2. Process Rudi’s gluten-free bread into fine crumbs in either a high-powered blender or food processor.
3. Slice avocados in half lengthwise and cut into 1-1 1/2 inch thick strips.
4. Combine breadcrumbs, cumin and garlic salt in a medium sized bowl.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs until yolks and whites are combined.
6. Dip avocado slices in the egg mixture and then immediately coat in the breadcrumbs.
7. Fry avocados for about 45 seconds on each side, or until golden brown.
8. Remove from pan, place on a paper towel and let excess oil drain off.
Feel free to substitute non-dairy Greek yogurt for the dip.
Makes 16 fries. Yum!